Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Wednesday 18 May 2016

When I shared the load



Is laundry only a woman's job?
My wife is a housewife. That day when I was at home, I tried to help her with the laundry.
Go away. Please don’t do it.’ She yelled at me.
Why?’ I asked.
Please don’t do it. I don’t like it when you wash the clothes.’ She said.
But why? I am trying to help you.’
I know that. But you go to office. It is out of your earnings that this house runs. I don’t want to burden you with the household chores. Come on this job is best left to me.’

Old work distinctions based on sex unfortunately stand true even today

I took her out into the drawing room and explained her. ‘I know I am the sole earning member of the family. But that doesn’t undermine your contribution to this house. I may be working for 10 am to 6 pm. But you work all twenty-four hours for this house. There is nothing wrong if I help you with the laundry. After all laundry is not just a woman’s job.’

My wife did not say anything. But I could make out from her face that she was still uncomfortable with the thought that her husband was going to do the laundry. I asked her to relax.

I went inside. I loaded the washing machine with the clothes. ‘Only one spoon of Ariel Matic is enough.’ My wife instructed me from outside. I started the machine. My wife was unsure of my laundry skills. Though she did not spell out her apprehensions. I could make it out from the constant instructions which she was giving. 


 Brush the collar properly.’ She shouted from the drawing room. I went outside with the white shirt in my hand. ‘See the collar is clean.’ I told her holding the shirt with the collar in my hands.
I never believed that a man can wash the clothes so brilliantly.’
Yes. He can with a little help from Ariel matic.’ I said.

But please don’t do it daily. What others will say?’ My wife asked.
Does it matter as to what others say?’ I asked.
It may not matter to you. But for me it does matter.’
In that case let them know that your husband helps you with the household work including the laundry. Let them emulate my example.’ I said in a firm voice.
Then too. Please not daily.’ She pleaded
Okay then. I will wash the clothes on alternate days. Is it fine?’
Okay.’ She said.

From that day onwards I have been washing the clothes on every alternate day. It feels nice to shoulder the household responsibility. Mind you, it is much harder than just shelving out the money. My respect for my wife increased by many folds. The understanding between us increased too. She was happy that now she was getting a little leisure time, which she used to pursue her hobby of painting. That made her happy and cheerful. That happiness expanded to rest of the day and even our marital life. 

Sharing the load brings you closer

'
I am taking part in the #LaundryGoesOddEven Challenge by Ariel India at BlogAdda.'

No comments:

Post a Comment