Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Sunday 12 January 2020

The long story of Paratha


I was a child growing in eighties. In those times doodarshan would run movies from the sixties and seventies on the weekends. The mother of the hero in those movies would be an aging woman clad in white sarees, who would stitch for a living and inevitably cook her son's favourite aloo paratha and gajar halwa with her own hands.

Being raised in a Maharashtrian household aloo paratha was never a part of our platter. But now that I had heard of it, I was dying to taste it. My mother borrowed its recipe from one of her friends and paratha made a grand filmy entry in my home.

Over a period of time, I have fell head over heels in love with parathas. It is filling, tastes delicious and is super healthy.

Of all the parathas that I have tasted, the best one was the one I had at Amritsar. The stuffed aloo paratha was baked in the tandoor and no matter how much I tried I couldn't find that taste in any other part of the world. I knew there existed a parathe wali galli in Chandni Chowk area of Delhi. But I couldn't locate it till date. When you travel by those tourists bus in and around Delhi, the roadside dhabas and joints will fleece you of your money. You order a paratha and they serve it dal, saag and then charge you triple the amount of paratha citing the price of dal and saag which you had never ordered in the first place. I have travelled almost the entire country and fortunately have not come across of such corrupt, unethical practice anywhere else.

Another version of paratha comes from the south of India and is named as banana paratha. The first time I read its name was at the Mango Tree restaurant at Hampi. I was intrigued. I hadn't heard of banana paratha and decided to be adventurous and taste it. It was served with a bottle of honey. Believe me, this Banana Parota, as it is called in the south melted in my mouth. The smooth hot texture of the mashed banana dipped in honey was heavenly.
 


We keep experimenting with parathas at our home. Here is one version which I simply devour – Dhepare.
Ingredients
2 cups bajra flour, ¾ cup wheat flour, 2 spoon dahi, 1 cup chopped methi, I spoon chilli paste, 1 spoon sesame seeds, salt, a pinch of sugar, 1 spoon oil, hing
Method
Mix all the ingredients together. Knead the dogh. Make small balls. Roll the parathas and roast it on the tawa.

No comments:

Post a Comment