Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Thursday 20 November 2014

Joys of singing it aloud


Even before I went to school my mother had taught me rhymes at my home. When I started going to school I do remember having a book of rhymes. The most fascinating part of the book was its pictures. Those were the days when pictures were uni-coloured and not multi-coloured like today. I remember the pictures in my book were in red colour.

There are two rhymes which are and will be always special. The first one is twinkle twinkle little star. We lived in a rented house then. The house had a small terrace. Those were the days when satellite television was yet to come. Doordarshan was the only TV channel and it did not telecast programmes for all twenty-four hours.


So after having dinner me and my parents would sleep in the terrace gazing the stars. Watching a star twinkle I would jump in ecstasy and start singing twinkle twinkle little star. There was some connection with those stars or was it a connection with the rhymes?

My grandmother died when I was still a toddler. My mother had told me that she had become a star. Thereafter whenever I saw the star twinkle I would shout twinkle twinkle little star my grandmother how you are?

Now I have lost my father as well. Whenever I happen to accidentally (yes, when you are innocent you stare at the sky intently and when you grow up you happen to see them only accidentally) gaze at the sky and stare at a twinkling star I do ask twinkle twinkle little star, oh my daddy how you are!

Sweets and childhood are inseparable. Well there may not be chocolates in the home all the time, but sugar is available all the time. On lazy afternoons when my mother was sleeping I would surreptitiously sneak into the kitchen take out the sugar container and put a spoonful sugar into my mouth.




Contrary to my belief my mother would not be asleep. She would say aloud “Johnny Johnny” and we would continue to recite the entire rhyme. Well my mother too loved having spoonfuls of sugar. Whenever I caught her red handed I would sing Johnny Johnny for her.

Such is childhood and its little joys. Thank you for giving me this opportunity of revisiting my childhood.  I wish I had an opportunity to learn the rhymes in the colourful, interesting multimedia format which Kids Hut offers.

This post is a part of Kids Hutactivity at BlogAdda.com

No comments:

Post a Comment