Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Wednesday 13 April 2022

Kind of ...


 

‘Tarun, let us walk a little further.’ Alia said. Alia was twenty years old intern in my office. She was from Goa was referred to me by a friend. It had been three months that she had been working with me. I was impressed with her work for she had reduced my burden to a large extent. She would do all the requisite homework for every meeting.  She would go through all the company reports, prepare summaries and place it before me. She would accompany me for all meetings, and would give me the exact facts and figures. It is because of her that I got more organized, and was able to return home on time, something that had never happened in my decade of work life.

‘What’s the secret?’ Somi asked me.

‘What secret?’ I asked.

‘How come you are no longer slogging in the office day and night.’

‘Oh, there is no secret as such. I have got an intern.’ I said and went on to explain how resourceful this new intern was.

‘Then make her permanent, Somi suggested. At least I will have some good family life, which includes my sex life as well.’ Somi said.

I pulled her to the bed, pinned her to the bed by holding both her hands and mounted on her.

‘So now I need Alia to spice up our sex life.’ I said.

‘I wish there are many more Alias who lessen the burden of your work. Then we can have sex day and night.’ She said.

‘And who will go to work?’ I asked.

‘Haven’t you heard of this new concept work from home.’

I nuzzled her around her neck, a spot which never failed to excite her, ‘It is work from home, and the way it is going I feel we are going to have it work from bed.’

We made love that night like newlyweds. Somi was true. Corporate stress takes a toll on sex life as well.

Soon, I recommended Alia for a permanent job. She was elated. For a moment she forgot that I was her boss. She  jumped and then hugged me tightly and then realizing her folly separated herself from me . She said, ‘Thank you,’ at least a hundred times.

‘You deserve it, Alia.’ I said.

An employee like Alia was an asset for the company. She was born sincere. Some people are like that. Such resources are hard to find.

The very next month she came bubbling with joy.

‘Sir, guess what? I am getting married.’ She said.

I was happy for her. At the same time, I was a little worried that post marriage she may shift to some other city and resign from the job. 

‘And the marriage is tomorrow.’ She said.

‘Why didn’t you tell me earlier?’ Was the question that I was going to pose. But I controlled myself. I was Alia’s boss, and though I was friendly with her, I wasn’t her friend.

‘Even I was not knowing that I am getting married tomorrow. But Samar, my fiancée is under tremendous family pressure to get married to another girl which his parents have chosen for him. They are orthodox, and want to marry their son within their caste. Till yesterday Samar wanted to marry me, and at the same time didn’t wish to go against the wishes of his parents. I clearly told him that you cannot keep the cake, and have it it too. Today, out of the blue, he said let us get married tomorrow. I thought I should get married before he changes his mind again.’


I wished her good luck. She didn’t invite me for the wedding given that it was a low-key affair to be conducted in hush hush. I presented her with a gift card to purchase things of her choice. After all one has to keep the efficient employee happy. Alia was a great resource to me.

But post her marriage, her behaviour changed. In a way it was natural. Personality of a woman undergoes a change post marriage. But what I was worried about was that Alia was now always tensed. She didn’t err in her official duties, but I was afraid that it may affect her performance in the long run.

I thought of asking her about it many times, but as I told you earlier it was against my nature to poke my nose into personal affairs of the employees.

Alia was like a fresh flower in the garden, but now she was wilting. The family and societal expectations had perhaps burdened her.

Then one day she asked me in a whispering voice, ‘Sir do you know any good lawyer? A divorce lawyer...’ She said.

My suspicions were true. There was trouble in the paradise. Alia didn’t divulge into any further details. I referred her to Mr. Mehra, who was  Somi’s friend who practiced in the family court.

Alia told me that she had filed an application for divorce in the family court. She was in a hope that she would get a divorce and she would forget the marriage as a bad dream. But that was not to happen.

‘You know in Indian courts all that a person can expect to get is the next date’, she said in disdain.

I could do little to help her, and that pinched me the most. I couldn’t see her face which had now started to gain dark circles. It was heart wrenching to watch her wilt that way. 

I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z

No comments:

Post a Comment