Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Saturday 20 February 2016

Impact of blogging

I have always been an avid reader. I loved writing too. Whenever I felt sad I would write. Writing was cathartic for me. I loved to write. Some of my writings were published in newspapers and magazines as well. That inspired me to write further.
One day in the Sunday supplement of a newspaper I read about blogging. This happened in the year 2005. At that time blogging was a new phenomenon. At that time I did not have an internet connection at my home. Leave internet connection, I did not even have a computer at my home. Yet I was intrigued by this thing called blogging. I wanted to try it by myself.

I had an email account with rediff. I was able to log in for rediffiland using my email. Rediffiland was something like blogger. It was easy to use. I soon had a blog for myself. Now I would write the things going in mind on my blog. My readers encouraged me with their kind words. They appreciated my writing. One of my readers went to say that I should write more about my college days. She also said that “Who knows you could be the next Chetan Bhagat?” Now calling someone Chetan Bhagat may be demeaning today. But back then he too was quite a phenomenon.

So the first and foremost impact of blogging was that it gave me some appreciation. Who doesn’t crave for appreciation? So the newly found appreciation made me happy.

Soon I got addicted to blogging. I would go to the net cafe, post something and wait for the comments of my readers. Then one day rediff decided to transfer all its data to a new system. While the data was being transferred some of the blogs were lost permanently. Unfortunately my blog was one of them. I was dejected. I tried numerous times to visit my blog page. But everytime the same message my blog was lost during the transfer to the new system.

I decided to create another blogging account. This time I decided not to have a blog on rediff. Afterall they had lost my blog and their credibility. So I had my new blog on blogger. Honestly I didn’t like blogger. I was accustomed to rediff, where I enjoyed readership. Now there were hardly any visitors to my blog. I got busy with my work too. No wonders I did not blog for a few years.

Then again one fine day I stumbled upon my blog and wrote a few things. I registered myself with some of the blogging groups and sites, which had come up during the time of my sabbatical. I entered a contest and won it too. My maiden post, my maiden win made me happy and gifted me few vouchers. The vouchers have been flowing since then. So has been the happiness too.

Such has been the impact of blogging. It has made me happy and a bit rich too. 
This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment