Free for download only on 4th and 5th March 2020

Saturday 13 February 2016

You are the best wife - Book Review


 
You are the best wife starts on the familiar college campus. Yes, there is an engineering college. There are three friends. There is ragging. There is a girl. They fall in love. After navigating through the Chetan Bhagat terrain, the story takes a different track towards the end. The boy and the girl get married. Theirs is an inter-caste marriage. The girl falls ill and ultimately succumbs to her illness.

The story is a simple tale. First let me begin by telling what I liked about the book. I liked the part involving Bhavna’s illness. It is very emotional. I felt like crying when I read about her illness and the plight of our hero – the author himself. Yes, this is a true story of the author. So he succeeds in making us cry.

What I didn’t like about the book is its language. Some may like lines like “Don’t eat my head. They shouldn’t be given any trouble. You don’t interrupt in the middle when we are talking,” which are literal translations of Hindi lines into English. But as a reader I didn’t like it. To be honest such lines and constant references to Hindi movies were irritating. Even the references to Bollywood movies are wrong at few places. For e.g. the author says that “Tere mast mast do nain” is a song from Dabaang 2. Actually it is from Dabaang and not Dabaang 2. Mistakes like these make you wonder how much is fact and how much fiction in this story.

Nevertheless loss of a dear one, particularly your spouse, is painful. This book is an attempt on the part of the author to make his wife immortal. I truly appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment